Sometimes you just need a mid-afternoon pick-me-up! These cookies are brilliant for snacks on the go, and are easy to add into your meal prep for the week.
I used Clean Lean Protein powder from NuZest in their delicious coffee flavour! It’s made of Golden Pea Protein, is smooth and not overly sweet; making it perfect to add to things like cookies and muffins, as well as smoothies!
It’s easy to substitute flour in part with protein powder – simply replace up to 1/3 of the flour with the protein powder of your choice and follow the rest of the instructions. Not all protein powders are made equal however; I’ve had a long and winding road to finding one that I can consume long term that doesn’t upset my stomach.
Some of the brown rice and standard pea proteins give me an upset stomach and send me running to the bathroom. When it comes to choosing one for you, listen to your body and pick one that makes you feel the best!
Any flavour protein powder can be used in this- plain, vanilla, chocolate or even strawberry! The goal is for it to have a subtle undertone and for the flavour not to completely overtake the cookies.
Want more cookie recipes?
Note: This recipe in not sponsored by Nuzest. It’s using product I purchased myself. All opinions are my own
- 2 tsp chia seeds ground
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup Coffee Protein Powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 vanilla bean pod seeds only
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts Walnuts/Hazelnuts
- 1 cup Dark chocolate chopped
- Heat oven to 180c and line a baking tray. Soak the chia seeds in the water for 5 minutes until a gel forms.
- Mix the sugar and oil together, whisking until combined well.
- Add the flour, protein powder, baking powder, salt and vanilla, and stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Add the chia seed 'gel', chopped dark chocolate and nuts, and fold through
- Arrange on the baking tray and cook for 10-15 minutes
- notes: -Use a dessert spoon and drop a spoonful on to baking paper They spread a little bit, so space them accordingly -Bake for about 10-12 minutes...you will end up with chewy cookies! any longer, they will be crispy